History of The Phoenix Inn
The hamlet of Phoenix Mills, New York derives its name from a series of mills that operated along the Susquehanna River starting around 1815. The river served as an excellent source of power for a succession of factories including a cotton mill, stone mill and wool mill. The mill provided an important source of wool used to make uniforms for the Union Army during the Civil War. The factory completed its life as a cheese factory that closed in 1912. The structure was demolished and the stone was used to construct the original Imogene Bassett Hospital in Cooperstown.
The Phoenix Hotel opened around 1870 to serve the needs of local mill workers. Somewhat later, it was transformed into an early Catskill resort hotel. During the early years, the structure served as a town hall, community center and dance hall for the local population. Since World War Two, the inn mainly functioned as a local pub, known as the Mill Tavern. In 1986, the Inn was renovated to operate as a country inn and has remained an inn to this day.