History of The Phoenix InnThe hamlet of Phoenix Mills, New York derives its name from a series of mills which operated along the Susquehanna River starting around 1815. The river served as an excellent source of power for a succession of factories which included a cotton mill, stone mill and wool mill. The mill served as an important source of wool used to make uniforms for the Union Army during the Civil War. The factory completed its life as a cheese factory which closed in 1912. The structure was demolished and the stone was used to construct the original Imogene Bassett Hospital in Cooperstown.
The Phoenix Hotel opened around 1870 to serve the needs of local mill workers. It was later transformed into an early Catskill resort hotel by Charles Snyder. During the early years, the structure served as a town hall, community center and dance hall for the local population. Since World War Two, the inn mainly functioned as a local pub, known as the Mill Tavern, and was renovated to operate as a country inn in 1986.
Jim and Vicki Gates purchased the facility in the fall of 2003, and plan to continue the bed and breakfast operation to serve the needs of tourists and other visitors to the Otsego County area. They began the first of several planned renovations in the winter of 2004.
Site Designed and Hosted by www.4wardOnline.com